View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2004, 01:26 PM

Smile Slips

Well for one, they DO remember to bring them back. Once in a blue moon a regular will for get. Not all regulars use a clip to save their slips. Also MY slips wouldn't do them any good at another karaoke place because my numbers wouldn't match some else's system. I also have on my slips my name, phone number and email for advertising purposes. I wish they would take them to other venues.

Very seldom do my patrons bring their own discs. Why, I don't know. Usually someone who does bring their discs, does not seem to bring them back the second time. Not sure if it's they like my selections or what. I have almost 7,000 songs. With no dupes. When I buy my discs, I pick out what version, (Sound Choice, Chartbuster ets. ) I generally prefer S.C. but have found other versions I like better. If my patron doesn't like my particular version then they can bring their own.

I guess I'm doing something right. I only do this part time. I am a full time fire chief and am currently doing karaoke 3 nights a week at the same place. Sunday, Monday and Wednesday. Monday night is the biggest night. It has begun to out do the bands they have on the weekends. And I have been at this same place going on my third year.

A little more information while I'm sharing ideas...

I also for my convience use Micro Studio to put my discs together before I put them into Hoster. I do not use the data bas option in Hoster. When I first started karaoke I begin with a Sony 400 player and Micro Studio. As I bought my original discs, I would attempt to copy as close to 20 songs per disc. I did this to save space in my player. As Hoster has no come along I still do this. I have about 12 discs coming in from Ebay this week. Once disc may have only 4 songs on it that I want or need. Another one may have 12. I record these into my desk top computer and when I have a least 20, I copy these to a compiled disc, Put my origianl discs away, load the compiled disc into Hoster, and file my compiled disc into my Sony 400 which is my backup.

For example "I love this bar" is listed as #31808 in Hoster. If my MTU laptop was down for any reason, I could use my Sony 400 and I would know that #31808 in my song books was also Disc #318 Track 8. Also by having a compiled disc, I may find down the road that I like a better version of i.e. "I love this bar" I'll then take my compiled disc out recopy all but song number 8 and then recopy with the new version. My original discs are never used but one time and then they are put away for safe keeping.

Is this a lot of work, most would say yes but it a system that I have come to like. Haven't had to use my back up player yet. Knock on wood. Have beeen using my MTU laptop for over a year now, never failed. Only once did I have to cut short a night and that was operator error. The Sony's Day's are numbered. I will be looking at externall drives in the future. Sorry for getting so winded. As always, Great Job MTU!

Kelly