View Single Post
Old June 9th, 2003, 06:56 PM

very essy

I'll try and keep this short but..... What a gem this board is sometimes! What a gleen Geezer. I have always connected my Krystal to a patch bay and to the DA30 for direct mastering, I just never thought of monitoring through the 2TRKDigital ins of the 02R V2.. A megga wiring session about to take place. Now I can still route the 2 Track D ins on the 02R back to the patch bay, should I still want to master to DAT? (I think)

Rather than question Krystal's clocking: Old boys remember about 10 or more years ago, I raved about procuring the very last ever AKAI digital patch bay from Washington Music. 8 in 8 out. 5 x AES/EBU, 3 optical. (brilliant for its age and a God send), but it has no word clock. To my knowledge, AES/EBU does not derive its clock from the source unlike SPDIF????? It just takes and and chucks out what it gets. Could this be the problem??
For example: The device is supperb.. I can keep on patching through it. Say: ISDN D out link to MTU and Minidisk (for recording), same time, my TC Gold Channel D out to D in of ISDN (my voice going back up the line), then the MTU D out to the DA30 for monitoring. All at the same time. What is recorded on the MTU or Minidisk is identical, but again essy.. .... Now the guys I am using in the states and UK have serious kit and I doubt they are chucking essy stuff out, so it must be me.

I spoke with Studio Spares last week, asking if they new of any updated device.. I could have been speaking a foreign language as they had no idea what I was talking about. I want one with word clock.. nobody seems to make them... anyone know??
Fostex do a 96khz optical one with 2 coax in/outs.. I have that too, but not workable when I am working in AES/EBU all the time.

Last Question: I will of course be looking for a master word clock device to run my DM2000 or use the DM2000 as the master clock whichever; but I wonder how Krystal will take that? Also, I am in a dilemma as to what I use with the DM2000 as a recording device. I am looking at the Mackie HDR24/96 and the Tascam MX2424. But I DO NOT need the A/D - D/A elements do I? I let the DM2000 do all that, so I thought maybe the Alesis 24 track thing. Or, and help me out guys.. 3 x MOTU devices with light pipe out and I get 3 cards for my DM2000, then record into Cubase or something. Failing that.. pro tools. I just dont know which route to take, but I have the bread and waiting to move. I have also ordered the new Yamaha cards, 2 x MY16 AES/EBU.. cuz I like to work AES/EBU. OK some of you might not have the DM2000, but you probably got other similar setups... Comments welcome, direct or otherwise if no one finds this interesting..
Geggyboy