View Single Post
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Honor Roll

Re: New place to gig on Thursday, but Sun/Tue. bar owner doesn't seem to like the ide

Good question. I have been on the other side of this very thing. I had a DJ that worked for me for 7 years start doing Sundays at another bar.(I am closed Sundays) The problem I had was with that particular bar owner. He was constantly bad mouthing me around town and even went so far as to call the fire department on me because he thought I had too many people on my busiest day of the year (St Pat's Day). It didn't work, but pi**ed me off.

After that incident, I asked my DJ nicely if he would consider not doing karaoke for him. While I didn't give him an ultimatum, his refusal to discontinue wheighed heavily on me for a long time. 3 months later, when he asked me for a bump in pay, I took the opportunity to cut my costs and decided to take over the KJing full time. I respected his right to continue doing karaoke for my competition, but when push came to shove, I had to weigh his commitment to me in the decision. I am not saying that this is what will happen to you, I just wanted to share my own experience from the other side.