View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:41 AM

I've been through several wireless systems myself. Started with Shure 58 and beta. Someone ripped the on off out of the beta, so I moved the beta head onto the 58 transmitter. BUT, I only use this mic in limited situations now because of the batteries.

I have been using Carvin mics with mixed reviews. The reason is they use AA batteries and have a long life. I also use Alkaline hybrid rechargeable batteries from target. They work in any charger and do well. They do not last as long on a charge as non-rechargeable batteries but I can get through two shows before a charge if needed. You can also recharge whenever you like without memory so I replace them with freshly charged batteries before each show.

As for the Carvin mics. (Carvin.com) the UX16-MC does a great job while coming in under $250 but I have had problems with the screens popping off when dropped a few times. I have glued them back on they they keep going, but one has a build up of super glue that I need to scrape out before the grill top will fit back in the groove again. The UX1000-MC is a better mic but it costs more.

Both mics have some of the things you need to look for like quality sound reproduction and adjustable freqs. The 16 has a few that you can dial in and the 1000 has a bunch, but you really don't need all of those. Also, keep in mind that many of the Shure's are fixed freq mics.