View Single Post
Old April 24th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Frequent Member

....Yeah, I've been looking at the Clover unit too because I've been trying to figure out how to generate more straight-up mastering work (I've alway been very multi-operational, with a lot of live recording and start-to-finish production). Can't justify it yet, but it's on the list.

I buy from Media Supply too. They're the ones that sponsored the duplication seminar I went to. I started up with them because they are practically the only place that carries the MAM-A golds.

One thing that the MAM-A guy at the seminar was claiming was that some standard DVD-Rs have a shelf life of a year or less in their environmental testing. He was, of course, touting their new Silver and Gold DVD-Rs. Have you tried these yet?

Sounds like you feel pretty confident about the Verbatims. A lot of folks seem to like Taiyo Yuden. The Taiyo Yuden guy at the seminar said categorically that all of their DVD output, no matter what retail outlet it wound up at, came off the same production line with the same quality control. That was heartening. The quality control issues at MAM-A you are seeing are not.....I'll try to dig out the engineering guy at MAM-As contact info and give it to you.

The MAM-A guy was pretty accessible, and gave a great talk on the technical aspects of things, including all the pit geometry stuff. This mostly, but not entirely, supported the superiority of their patented dyes.....generally pretty interesting.