View Single Post
Old March 6th, 2002, 10:34 AM

Reply to Danny G:
I have been hosting karaoke shows for the past 5 years and have been working full time at this for the last year. A fair rotation is very important,just as you said. My wife and I keep a board that we pin request slips to so that if a singer comes up and asks where they are in the rotation we can show them and tell them how many songs until they are up. One of the problems that we all have is dealing with drunks and hecklers or drunk hecklers. I don't ever get confrontational with either. I have found that I can usually reason with them if I don't get mad. I have gone out in the audience many times and sat with hecklers and calmly told them "Hey man, don't do that, you know you wouldn't like that done to you." Believe it or not, this usually works, especially if that person is singing that night. One thing I have resorted to if that person is not a singer is to call him up to sing. Again, this must be done with a smile on your face and in a good-natured manner. Such as"Hey, someone turned in a slip for old Joe. Come on up and show us how it's done Joe." Sometimes the person will come up and sing, which usually will make him part of the group. Most times though, he will leave or be quiet.
Another thing that works for me is when I first hear signs of heckling, I will get on the mic and say "Hey guys , be kind, it's your turn next. Didn't mean to write a book,but I know what a problem this can be. Thanks to admin. for adding this forum.I think it will be great to have other KJ's and singers to communicate with.