Thread: Computer backup
View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:19 AM
VIP

Re: Computer backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
In that case just open the build songs database dialog on your old laptop, clear the existing list of folders that would all show as on the C/ drive by using the exclude folders button. As you do this you will probably get confirmation that it is removing songs from your database which is what you want.
Then with your external drive plugged in use the ADD folder button and brows to the folders on your external to add them to the list, as each folder is added you should see it building the database with each folder you add. When complete your songbook should show the same book id for each machine even though one is using the c/ drive and the other is using your external.
I spent the entire weekend trying to make this work. My book i.d.'s aren't matching. I think I know why but can't figure out the problem. When I add back the folders from my external drive, for some reason Hoster is not picking up all of my kma files. I have tried to rescan the kma file folder and it just won't pick up some files. Here is a step by step explanation on how I did this.

I used copy and paste to copy the folder MTU to my external drive from my main computer, which contains the kma files. I did the same to copy the folder that contains my kmh files. I then went to my old computer and in the tools menu of Hoster (5.05) I opened the "songs data base". I then clicked the "build data base" button and then went through the process "exclude folders". I then used windows explorer to delete the MTU folder on my old computer C drive. I then copied the MTU folder minus the kma files from my external drive to my old computer's C drive. This was the MTU folder that I had previously copied from my main comuter.
I then opened Hoster on my old computer and used the "add folders" as you described to add the folders using the external drive. When completed, the book i.d.'s were off and some of the kma files were missing. Also, I noticed that most of my "playlist" that when opened listed all or most of the songs on the list "unavailable". If you have any ideas I would appreciate your input.

Walt

Last edited by WaltR; February 13th, 2012 at 10:28 AM.