Thread: KIAA Membership
View Single Post
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMcCharles View Post
Wow. This discussion is really heating up. It looks like most but not all of us agree that we don't like KIAA's methods and even question what their goals are. But we all do agree that there is a piracy problem that makes it difficult for manufacturers and legit KJs alike to stay in business. So how about some ideas of what Sound Choice could be doing instead to address this problem?
How about getting their field agents to approach the KJ, identify themselves and ask to see there original disks to verify legality. If the KJ refuses, then make the assumption that they have something to hide and sue. I know that if someone approached me with proper credentials from Sound Choice/Sleptones and asked to see my original disks, I would gladly sit down and go through with them with him/her. I would however not accept the same if the individual was from the KIAA as they have no legal rights at all in this.
Then if they found one or more that I didn't have a disk for then let's discuss a settlement. I would then agree too the $6500 settlement as opposed to going to court. Quick and simple with less tying up the court's time, legal fees for both of us, and the bad press they are getting for their tactics.
Suing the venues is not only rediculous but is also shooting themselves and the entire industry in the foot. Most owners do not know where their entertainment, be it kj, dj, or even live, get there music from or whether any of it is legal. Oh I forgot....if they hire a KIAA certified KJ then they are guaranteed they are legal (or were at the time of their audit). This is like suing a home owner because he used an unlicensed plumber to fix a leaky faucet.