View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2003, 04:01 AM

No we're getting somewhere

Flip et al:

Thanks for the feedback. I am finding your insight very informative.

We keep coming back to the "dilute the market" statement and maybe I didn't state that whole thing well enough. The point I was trying to make was that if the Kj does a good solid job, I shouldn't be able to think that I can do it better. I was trying to motivate people to do a consistently good job so people won't come into the market and dilute it while driving prices down. I se that in the DJ business where anybody with some CD's and loud sound system thinks they can DJ. They bring the prices down for everybody and make it harder on the good operators.

As for my arrogance, I'm sorry. Rereading my posts, maybe it does come off that way. On the other hand, you agreed completely with 5 of the 8 points and we are close on 1 or 2 more so I can't be too far off

As for singing in every rotation, I still don't quite understand that. If the Kj sings once in every rotation, how is that different than if anyone else takes that spot. Patrons recognize who has sung and where in the order they are. Simply saying who is up on deck can help give people a 3-5 minute warning. I do agree though that spicing it up if it is warranted is a great idea if the songs start to bring people down and a duet once in a while never hurts. I guess anything taken to extremes can be bad.

After clarifying my remarks, I stand by what I said. My motives for this are completely selfless, I have nothing to gain. I just want to see people succeed in their businesses and when they treat it like some fun on the weekend instead of a business, it shows. And I am sure there are other people like me that are in your audiences and see some kinks and think they could do it better. If the job is well done, with good equipment, then people won't even spend the mental energy trying to make it better. Few people want to start a business so they can be bottm feeders, they start a business because they think they can be the best.

After a number of emails (even some supportive ones ) I think taking a step back and analyzing what we do as business people and why we do it is a good thing. Just because it's been done that way for years is not an excuse.

Thanks for keeping the conversation going. I look forward to your repsonses and I am glad that this is entertaining for the rest of you