View Single Post
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Honor Roll

When you say they are karaoke files, do you mean the words come up on the screen like a "normal" karaoke disc? Or do you mean they play the song without the words. When you say you can play them on your computer and sing along, are you loading them into another program other than Winamp, and the words show up and highlight?

A few problems come to mind:

1. First and foremost, are they original songs? i.e. Your freind that e-mailed them to you wrote them, or you wrote and your friend recorded them or something like that. If not, and these are copyrighted songs, than this is considered illegal file sharing. (unless you gained permission from the copyright owner).

2. Are you sure they are actually karaoke songs, and not just instrumental versions of the songs.

3. It is possible that if these were made from a karaoke disc, they were imported by some other program not designed to import karaoke files.

4. If they were imported using a CD+G compatible program, it is possible that the drive used to import them was not, or they were imported wrong.

5. Are there any other files that go along with the Winamp Media File? i.e. has the same filename but different extension.
Lets say you have a song called abcdefg.mp3 is there also a file called abcdefg.mcg or something like that?

I would talk to your friend and see what program was used to make/import the files. Or find out what type of files they are and what program is used to play them. Without knowing this, its hard to say how to get them onto a disc.

Flip

P.S. If they are copyrighted songs and you are copying them, please don't do it...song piracy hurts us all...Thanks