View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Administrator

How All Vocal Eliminators Work

Vogone I uses the same basic technique as the $1,200 Thompson Vocal Eliminator, but does it digitally and can therefore deliver higher quality.

To keep the discussion as simple as possible, the original wave file audio samples are duplicated during the processing. The duplicate stream is inverted (positive voltages become negative, and negative become positive) and the channels swapped (left becomes right, right becomes left). The original and duplicate inverted/swapped streams are then added together. Where a sound was equally loud in both channels, there now are identical but inverted voltages being added, and they sum to zero. If they are not equally loud, they sum to something non-zero; i.e. they are not cancelled. This is the basic process.

You can understand that if the audio in one channel is shifted (advanced or delayed) any from the other channel, the voltages will be offset and thus not identical. Based on what frequencies are present, the sounds will add or subtract, in definable but apparent random locations. Thus, the resulting sound can have louder sounds and reduced sounds, and even what sounds like echo or reverb (called flanging) as some frequencies amplify and others attenuate.

The Vocal Elimination algorithm that Vogone I uses either removes the vocal in a song or it doesn't. There are no controls to adjust, because there is nothing to change. In a true stereo wave file, Vogone I will remove all center panned vocals and instruments completely and cleanly without distortion.