Thread: Computer backup
View Single Post
Old March 4th, 2012, 09:46 AM
VIP

Re: Computer backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Dennis View Post
To be honest I personally have not had much experience with the merge duplicates so am reluctant to give advise you on that.
This is what I would do:
First off just as a back up open your C:/MTU/Hoster folder on the old computer and copy the HosterInfo.ini file and the songs.mdb file to a safe place (A folder on your desktop will do)

Then I would start again and copy all your original kma & kmh files to the external hard drive again overwriting the previous files so that the correct Book Id's are copied matching your new computer.
Then open your old computers C:/MTU/Hoster folder and find the HosterInfo.ini file open it and delete all the list except the ones under [ExcludedFolders] And save it.
Then start Hoster open the rebuild dialog check that nothing is listed in the list of folders especially nothing from the C:/ drive (if it does show anything from the C:/ drive use the exclude button to remove it) in the bottom left panel then rebuild the database, this will build you an empty database. (Songs.mdb)
Now open the rebuild database dialog and use the ADD folders button and add only the folders from the external drive as you do so it should see a dialog pop up for each folder it adds stating how many files it's added to the database, When you finish adding folders that should be it no need to use the build database.
If you ever rebuild the database after that make sure there are no files in the list of folders showing the C:/ drive before pressing the rebuild button.

Then if all is working correct and you want to recover space on the old computers C:/ drive then you can delete all the existing kma & kmh files on that computers drive.
If things aren't right leave them there then paste the two files you saved at the beginning the HosterInfo.ini and the songs mdb back and you should be back to how it is at the moment.

Roy, just as a follow up, I tried your suggestions in your latest post in this thread and everything worked well. Thank you for your precious time. I learned much from dealing with this issue. After I get through the next couple of shows I have booked I am going to do as you mentioned, which is run both computers from an external hard drive and use another external drive as a backup. I think in the long run this is the best way to go. Thanks again,

Walt