Thread: Pay to Play
View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Honor Roll

Makin' Money

I realize MaddMatt was originally referring to who has done a gig at carnivals with respect to recording/charging for songs, and I have read info, here, on CHARGING for songs after a Karaoke GIG has ended, so I just wanted to relate my situation.

I only do Night Club Karaoke Shows. At the end of my PAID time, I continue as long as people are willing to PAY-TO-PLAY. That is to say, and this is very important - which is a fine line - I CHARGE for my TIME.

I never CHARGE someone to SING A SONG! If you charge per song, and a BMI or ASCAP or SESAC representative is IN-THE-HOUSE, they may expect you to pay them a cut for your having made a profit. Besides, what comprises most of your Karaoke system? It is the DELIVERY components that are 100% yours not the music, which BMI, etc. claims is not yours.

My time includes someone who may want to sing their own song, without music, or someone who may want to tell a joke, or someone who may want to just talk for 3 minutes, or so. After your PAID time, anything goes to make a BUCK.

This is why, on two nights each week, I am available, to the CLUB, for 6 1/2 hours. 9-1 is the regular Karaoke show (usually 4-hour Gigs) and 1-3:30 is on my time. I usually can earn an extra $60 on a weekday and $100 on a weekend day.

Some may argue that that is not enough money for 2 1/2 hours extra work each Gig, but I don't mind - It's money and that extra money pays for my overhead, i.e. 9-volt batteries for wireless mics, gas to and from Gigs, Food to and from Gigs, Request Slip printing, etc.

Think about it, that's $160/week or $640/month or $7,680/year. What extra could you do with $7,680/year?

Norm