View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2005, 03:49 PM

how to handle duets

My singers would get furious if I were to change the rotation around based on the songs they're singing (too many slows in a row, etc.); I set up a fixed rotation and stick with it. I also try to mix in new singers with the old rather than tacking them on to the end of a rotation (similar to danamay - alternate one or two at a time).

In general, the way I handle duets is I don't make both people use it as their turn - it counts as one person's turn, and THEY have to decide who's turn it's going to go under. This works well in MOST cases, because most singers are primarily singing by themselves and may just have an occasional duet with someone else - they can argue between them who's turn it will take up (with this, you avoid the problem of moving singers around if they sing a duet).

However, I do have a couple of exceptions to this. If the only songs these 2 people are singing are duets with each other, then I would put them under only one person so they don't get up twice in a rotation - this is fair because the two of them together are acting as a single singer. Also, if a person is singing with MANY other people - especially if those other people aren't in the rotation as an individual (i.e. he's just grabbing someone to sing with so he can get another turn) - I make sure that they all go under his name because he's the only "repeat" singer.

I've only had a couple cases where someone tried to get sneaky with me and they each put their own songs up, then started doing duets so all the same people were getting up each time - when they did that, I combined them all into a turn and didn't give them an opportunity to have their turns split back up - if either of them wanted to sing individually, they got put under that same turn (they never did it again!).