View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2005, 11:39 AM

Re: CD error detection

I'm a idiot !! This started because I burned a high speed copy of a CD I had made using PlexWriter 48/24/48A burner and it's Oak software. I make the master on my x8 burner with MicroCD and then copy it onto my hard drive with the Oak software and burn x48 dupes from it. The CD started out with spoken word on track one and the rest music. After I burned the 1st copy, I put it on my studio CD player to verify it ok. The spoken word sounded terrible. Glitches up the ying yang. I found I could play it back on every other CD player in my house ok, and the custie was having no troubles. Then I found I could slow the burner down to x32 and it sounded ok.

Then I start this quest to find a way to measure errors. I did load the freeware DiskCheck1057, but it didn't do what I wanted. Wednesday, I tried to burn some CDs and found the burner was doing alot worse. I decided the burner was at fault and ordered the Plexwriter Premium with the PlexTools software. Then Friday, I decided to stop by Radio Shack and see if there was such a thing as a laser cleaner. Natch they had one for 13 smackers.

I brought that thing home and ran it on my x48 burner, and sheezam, it burns perfectly again. What an idiot !! I'm not going to clean my CD player since it seems to be the only one that will let me know when the laser lens is getting dirty. Thanks for yall's suggestions......Lin