View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2002, 04:53 PM

Rate of Pay?

Just came across this post and found it interesting. I too started out in this business as a hobby. Having another fulltime job doesn't give me a lot of time to kj but have found it rewarding both as a release and as a financial boost. No one ever found my fishing or golf good enough to pay to watch. I do kj twice a week. $150 at each place. I read where some of you felt this was too low and that everyone should charge the same. I think we all have to realize that different parts of the country rate differences in pay. A house in Houston is definately going to cost more that one in a remote part of the country. Yes, there are those who seem to want to work for nothing. i know one in my area who does it for $50 for four hours. Is that hurting me? NO! The places that say they can only afford that are not the places I would want to play in the first place. And when an establishment agrees to hire for that amount I have often found the quality of the program isn't worth more than that either. I'm not saying that people who enjoy doing for nothing do a bad job. I'm just saying that I think that is rare based on MY experiences. I'll leave with this quote that hangs in my office.

"It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay to little. When you pay too much you lose a little money...that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot...it can't be done. if you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that; you will have enough to pay for the something better."

John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Kelly