View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:25 AM

As Admin pointed out, Hoster 3.314 queries the drive directly, Microstudio 3.004 does not. And as I've pointed out, the Hoster 3.314 demo reads both of my drives perfectly, the Microstudio 3.004 demo does not. This supports Admin's suggestion that the licensed vendor code used in Microstudio for interfacing with drives is the definitive distinction (and correctly pointing out that not all drives are created equally).

I recognize that the ideal solution is an mtu certified drive... I know this to be true because I've purchased two of them for other applications. I wouldn't use anything but an mtu certified drive for writing to a disc. But there are situations where a separate external drive for a laptop isn't convenient or even doable. This is particularly true when it's only the occasional "read" fuction that's needed.

Can I assume that Hoster prior to 3.314 used that same interfacing code as Microstudio? If so, may I obtain the demo version of an earlier Hoster version? That would be the perfect A-B test to evaluate the difference in interfacing code since I have not one, but two drives in the same laptop to test.