View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

Are they SCSI Yam CDRs? If so, try moving the SCSI controller's IRQ to 5- that has worked for me a couple times. Another option is to disable a serial or printer port in BIOS which will free an IRQ which you can try putting the SCSI controller on.

If the CDRs are IDE, then it's the IDE controller taking the IRQ, it's not the drives themselves. You can try changing the IRQs in BIOS, Windows, or both (98 is easier about this and there are some notes in the Win98 version of the MTU manual about that- which Bryan could maybe get you). This would perhaps be the case if you have added these recorders to the SECONDARY IDE controller on the machine. If that is the case and things do not work out, you could consider moving the CD recorder to the PRIMARY IDE controller and pin it as the SLAVE. This may -- or may not -- solve things. Of course, if you have two drives already hooked up there then that ain't gonna work! But you could disconnect one if so and try it as a test situation.

Most especially with the older systems I have found that using SCSI CD recorders works better than anything else. But of course you need a SCSI controller like an Adaptec 2940 or a Tekram DC-390, DC-395 or DC-315-- and those are getting hard to find.

I have SCSI controllers in all our systems to allow for tape backup of data (usually to DDS3 data DATs), but increasingly with the newer ones I've been archiving to DVD via either USB2 or Firewire-- of course the old machines don't know from that - and trying to get an adapter card in those to work well can be a real bear-- with all the same kinds of IRQ problems and other conflicts you are having with M/Sync right now.