View Single Post
Old August 3rd, 2002, 09:28 PM
Frequent Member

XP, Nuendo-

---Hey Les, this is a very good question which we all need answered....XP is great, and it seems like the migration to XP while keeping up the MicroCD interaction may be the last real upgrade we'll see.

I know I said a while ago that I wouldn't talk about Nuendo on the forum, but I will give a bit of an update to those that are interested. I am hopefully not repeating myself here: I finished a video post project a couple of months ago on Nuendo, and was pleasantly surprised ultimately (A) at the basic ease of operation and power of the system and ultimately disgusted (B) by the poor support on the corporate level.

A-
It took me awhile to wade through the manual and figure out ways to work that mirrored the obvious and speedy ways of working I use in MicroEditor, but I eventually found them and they were, indeed, fast. I actually ended up appreciating the fluid way they have of using the multitrack interface, and it became a great organizational tool, and the plug-ins were mighty useful.

There are a couple of issues however: OMF from Avid Media Composer didn't really translate until I shelled out $800 for AVTransfer from Fairlight....To be fair, OMF is a hassle for everybody, and AVT seems to be the only real solution for a PC rig, but.....Also, Nuendo doesn't really chase, but only jams. It, however, jams really well when using the Timelock Pro. Latency while jamming did not ever seem to be an issue, either.

B-
When talking about the above picture-related issues and some other time code stuff that is important on their forum, I and everyone else with similar concerns, received ZERO replies from the company moderators....I really mean zero. I am hoping that the new version out in a few months will just deal with the issues, and that will make up for the gross insult currently.

There is a fair amount of expressed and latent anger out there about this kind of stuff....I suppose if I didn't have the original great support from MTU I would be just as pissed at MTU right now.

Anyway, it is a good product, but I'm more than a little worried about the direction of the software development and support right now....It has taken on a huge part of the market, though, and I sure can't afford Pro Tools.