View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Frequent Member

more history...

I bought my first MTU system in August of 1994. It cost me $12,500, a lot of which I had to borrow from a bank.

I bought that system because the personal support from MTU was incredible. I realized shortly thereafter that the development level, especially the elegance used in incorporating new features, was also incredible.

So much happened in those first two to three years that it really took me until last year to realize how much stopped shortly after Krystal was up and running and stable......I was riding on that 1994-1997 or so run until sometime in 2001-2002. If we didn't still have these very efficient and functional machines to use, it would almost be like I had fantasized it.

The change cannot be denied, though. The support continued for awhile, but the development just stopped. I know there was a serious hardware and money bottleneck that took Dave by surprise, too. I certainly can't talk for him, but it just seems like once everyone realized how bad the money situation was, it was too late for MicroEditor and Karaoke was the only thing bringing in the bucks.

I know that I personally have finally given up, though I obviously have not given up on the system as it exists now. It only does what it does, though. I have already bought into another system grudgingly to take on some of my other DAW duties, and I think we all will probably have to go down that road eventually.

I still hope that I can integrate my third system into the same computer with my newer (Nuendo, at this point) rig and get a little more involved in file sharing around the CD editing and mastering I still do on MTU stuff. I have not yet had the time to devote to this software/hardware exercise, though. I figure I need a solid 4 days to really work it out, or I need to buy yet another XP computer just for the modern MTU rig.......If anyone can give me some tips, I'd love to hear it, but I've got other fish to fry for now...