Old September 7th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Blocked From MTU.Community

Though of course this is "preaching to the converted",
I couldn't agree more - I'd be happy to come up with
reasonable amount of money for Medit to be able to work
with other hardware.

I too love the program as many here know and use it
every day and rely on it. We have numerous MTU systems,
mostly 4 channel though some are Krystal only.
It continues to be essential for most of what we do
and I manage to do some very dense and complex work
with it, very editing and compositing-intensive.

However, if that were ever to happen, I'd like to see it
more focused toward perhaps slightly higher end interfaces,
maybe like the Aardvark stuff--- which just happens to use
the same Motorola DSP on the PCI card that Krystal does.

I tried getting Krystal and the Aard Q10 to live in the same
P4 machine, but alas, not to be -- most likely because Medit
was seeing the other Motorola DSP. (That's what I heard from Aard when I asked them just what was under the big potted module that's on their PCI board anyway). Tried this both
under Win98/Medit5.4 and also XP/Medit5.5, but no go.
Medit will give you the unable to load DSP code message.

But with all the low level DSP code already there and working in Medit, it sure would be fabulous if it could run on other hardware, even if MTU required it be on cards using the Moto DSP like the Aard stuff. It would be mostly a matter of mapping assignments it seems to me. Even if Medit required pairs for stereo, being able to have 4 pairs of outs (8 total) would be terrific and would make the program truly multitrack.

The Q10 is 8 i/o plus 2 chan monitor and seems very clean from limited testing done with it. They have their own utility software for setting up and mapping channels, and then it passes control to the host app. It also has 2 chan SPDIF i/o and can handle
external word clock (which they also make).

I've only run it though with Cool Edit Pro 2x, which is no longer -- it's now called Adobe Audition (Syntrillium was bought by Adobe).
There is a free re-branded upgrade from Adobe (web site) for CEP 2.x users, but I've not installed that as yet though I downloaded it a few days ago. You have to have the CEP serial number and the version has to be 2.0 or better. I'm not sure if they offer anything to the regular Cool Edit (non Pro versions) user beyond a discount on a full upgrade.

I too hope that MTU will re-visit breathing new life into Medit, I'd sure support that all I possibly could. Ditto with Micro CD and making it work with more current CD drives. I still use mostly Yamaha 8x SCSI drives, and find the older version of MicroCD that supports those incredibly reliable. But I'd love to see it upgraded to allow CD Text capability as well as to support more of the newer drives.

Replication plants have often raved about the stuff done with MicroCD at 2x and on gold blanks, and we have only ever had one master rejected by a plant, ages ago, out of many hundreds we've done. They tell us that for direct glass mastering at their end, the stuff we send them that way really works well.
I do refs with it at higher speeds on silver Mitsuis, but masters on gold and at 2x. Slower but very reliable, so worth it.

You're right about the Digi free stuff, but I never really
have been able to get that to run very well on anything-- though part of it may well be me being extremely un-used to working with it-- it seems incredibly cumbersome compared to Medit for
doing even basic things-- but then a lot of other stuff seems that way to me! I do use Cool Edit Pro often though for some processing and de-clicking etc on WAV files, sometimes on SFs too but that gets a little more difficult - others have written about that in these forums.

Count on my vote for new life for Medit for sure!

Rich