Thread: 5.5 question
View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Frequent Member

Re: 5.5 question

....Got to say that this whole boondoggle is what sent me to Wavelab, and I have not found any serious drawbacks as of yet....I have spent an awful lot of time re-examining converters, dithering and interfaces, but the end result seems to me to be a big improvement, and I can work in 96k, which is becoming an increasing reality for me.

The Wavelab process is very fast and intuitive once you figure it out, and is capable of some incredibly subtle and effective editing, but I do miss the simplicity of MTU for some things, including the non-dithering 24bit-to-16bit math for CD mastering. On my last 2 CDs, however, I found that some specific combinations of processing in Wavelab (with Waves plug-ins) sounded better than the straight math in MTU....For some kinds of music, I might not find this to be true, but, again, this would eliminate the Waves plugins which I have come to rely on for a lot of my mastering....I have just recently bought a hardware version of the Waves L2, however, which could change things. I would like to see how this interfaces with Microeditor (i.e.- Master to 24bit with the L2 and use the math in MTU to get to CD land) as another option for some things......The last CD I did that I felt really worked in MTU was through the old I/O with all the mastering external going to 16bit into the I/O via AES, although I have had success with some straight conversion of 24 bit files prior to this...

I have become attached, as well, to CD text in Wavelab, so this is becoming another obsolescence issue....

I am considering sending in a Krystal and I/O to MTU and seeing if they can integrate me a system on a new computer without losing functionality and all my old files.....It would be nice if this could happen with MicroSync, but I'm not holding my breath. Anyway, my original workstation has become flakey and I really can't deal with it anymore.....Got any solid computers available, MTU?

Last edited by geezer; December 11th, 2004 at 12:02 PM.