Thread: 5.5 question
View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Blocked From MTU.Community

Re: 5.5 question

Hi Bill,
Waves Gold Bundle, version 4, but will be upgraded before long to version 5.x.
The Waveshell is really the main difference from what Waves says.

I also tried it with version 3.x of Waves which was what originally shipped,
same problem. (That version "authorized" your drives) I then went to ver 4 which requires an ILOK key, so had to go out and buy one of those. These plug ins work perfectly with the old Cool Edit Pro, the new Adobe Audition, and several other host programs that support Direct X plug ins. But never worked with Medit.

But if you migrate to version 5 of Waves, you can no longer run the plug ins on older op systems, they require Win XP with that version. Several of my older MTU systems run on Win ME and Win98SE. I have one Krystal in a Win XP Athlon 2.5 gig machine running on an Asus A7N8X system (NVidia chipset), and have made another one work successfully in a P4 2.5 (Northwood core, there are 2 versions of this CPU) system running XP, using an Asus P4PE deluxe motherboard. I then migrated the P4 back to Win ME due to the activation thing with XP. I'm about to take the Krystal out of that system and move it up to XP Home and install an Aardvark Q10 I've had for awhile, for running Adobe Audition 1.5. The Aardvark uses a Motorola DSP like Krystal, and so the 2 cards cannot seem to co-exist in the same machine. It's a pretty clean sounding interface.

My reasoning in moving the Waves stuff to ver 5 and foregoing being able to use them with WinME and Win98SE is that I never could get them to work (or any other Direct X plug ins either) properly with Medit.

I'll put that Krystal in an older P3 Intel motherboard system (which it has run with before and which at the moment runs WinME, so I'll install Medit 5.4). Reasoning is that the Krystal does its own processing and thus doesn't really need a super fast CPU -- also with no m/media driver for 5.5 that will work with XP, that's a drawback. So I figure best use of the faster machine is to run Audition which will host the Waves plug ins just fine.

Also, with XP you can have more than 512 megs of RAM, which should make programs like Audition even more happy and allow for more real time effects and tracks w/o glitching. Audition 1.5 is available as an upgrade version for any registered Cool Edit Pro 2x users for about $70.00 from Adobe.
Running Win ME, I removed Krystal and installed the Aardvark as a test, and had 16 audio tracks running with a lot of plug ins running real time with no premixing - though it did glitch just a little. I'm figuring with one gig of RAM that will cure the situation, but haven't tried that yet. Win ME, like Win98SE, gets very unhappy with over 512 megs of RAM installed. Lotsa weird stuff starts to happen.

I still much prefer Medit and Krystal for most things, but for doing mastering and fine tuning, I will often make a final project into WAV file(s) and then bring into Audition or similar and do some tweaking with the Waves plug ins,
then take those new files back into Medit for final CD mastering.

If Medit could really support Direct X that would often not be necessary, though. And if there was a driver to support playing through Krystal from say Audition under WinXP, that would at least be a partial solution, too.

Rich