View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:40 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
How about a story where triple A saved my Butt. Three years ago I was starting at this new bar in town. He owned another bar 60 miles away and needed a quick backup. He literally begged me to fill in. I remember ny wife sayiing, "Go ahead, this could make a big difference helping this guy out." I drove down on a school night (I teach H.S. in the morning), with two hours to get there (1 hr drive and 1 hr setup at a new place I figured). I drove in and parked about 100 yards from the door on Main Street (only parking place). Then I went back after setting up, now it's about 45 min till showtime, to move the truck closer to the door where a parking spot was now available. Truck wouldn't start, zilcho! Sheesh, did I become really nervous at first. I did not panic, called AAA but couldn't remember if I had payed my most recent annual dues, they said I had, I said "YESSS!" They were down there in 20 min. and had my truck at a reputable garage where it stayed that night. Fuel pump went (expensive). I sort of used that event as a joke or two during the show, ad-libbed a bit with it here and there and kept my sense of humor about it. I called my wife where she works (a factory 80 miles away during the night shift, she left her work about 4 hours early to come down and pick me up with the car. All was fine. The place was packed. Many ppl stated they liked my show and too bad I couldn't replace the regular guy, but I didn't take that any further. The place has since been closed and sold and that bar owner still operates the bar in my hometown.

Since then, I still work for the owner during the Holidays and vacations and during the summer, and when I ended last summer, he grabbed the mic and made a big announcement how I saved HIS butt many times (particularly that night where he made millions (thousands)). He stated loud and clear that any time I want to work for him to come back any time. I think three other bar owners were in the club that night too. They were listening. Since then the business has really taken off.
AAA saved me 3 times in the last ten years although not quite as drasticly.
1 time I stopped for gas at 2am and couldn't get the van to restart. I thought it was the starter but a jump from AAA showed it was my battery.

Another time leaving one gig, I thought the starter died because jumping it didn't fix the problem. I had AAA tow it to a repair shop by my home and slept in the van, it was 10 or 15 Deg F that night (Paranoid about leaving my van loaded with equip unattended.) .

Another time I had just picked my son up from school when the ignition module went out and had to go setup and play in just a few hours. While I waited for AAA I borrowed a catering van from a restaurant I used to work at transferred everything over to it. Fortunately the repair shop was able to jump right on it the next day.

AAA has saved my bacon several times in other vehicles as well. In my younger days I would have considered AAA a luxery but the older I get the more I see it as a lifesaver.

Sam