View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:27 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindonstrike View Post
If my van goes down, I have sources I can borrow from or if worse comes to worse, U-haul is just a couple miles down the road (only 2 days a week is my van an absolute necessity - other days I can use my wifes car). I also keep my AAA paid up.
Sam
How about a story where triple A saved my Butt. Three years ago I was starting at this new bar in town. He owned another bar 60 miles away and needed a quick backup. He literally begged me to fill in. I remember ny wife sayiing, "Go ahead, this could make a big difference helping this guy out." I drove down on a school night (I teach H.S. in the morning), with two hours to get there (1 hr drive and 1 hr setup at a new place I figured). I drove in and parked about 100 yards from the door on Main Street (only parking place). Then I went back after setting up, now it's about 45 min till showtime, to move the truck closer to the door where a parking spot was now available. Truck wouldn't start, zilcho! Sheesh, did I become really nervous at first. I did not panic, called AAA but couldn't remember if I had payed my most recent annual dues, they said I had, I said "YESSS!" They were down there in 20 min. and had my truck at a reputable garage where it stayed that night. Fuel pump went (expensive). I sort of used that event as a joke or two during the show, ad-libbed a bit with it here and there and kept my sense of humor about it. I called my wife where she works (a factory 80 miles away during the night shift, she left her work about 4 hours early to come down and pick me up with the car. All was fine. The place was packed. Many ppl stated they liked my show and too bad I couldn't replace the regular guy, but I didn't take that any further. The place has since been closed and sold and that bar owner still operates the bar in my hometown.

Since then, I still work for the owner during the Holidays and vacations and during the summer, and when I ended last summer, he grabbed the mic and made a big announcement how I saved HIS butt many times (particularly that night where he made millions (thousands)). He stated loud and clear that any time I want to work for him to come back any time. I think three other bar owners were in the club that night too. They were listening. Since then the business has really taken off.