View Single Post
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:09 AM

So here's my plan

Here's how I do things. I'm gonna set this up as a list so it's easier to understand and explain.

1. Mount everything in some form of case (shock mount are best if you can afford cost and added weight) - Protection from the elements and less component movement.

2. Know how everything is set up - I build my systems like most of us do. I know where each and every cable goes to and from as well as its purpose. Comes in handy when something isn't working and you have to quickly troubleshoot.

3. Backups to backups - There are many phases to this, at least for me. Backup cables (at least 2 mic cables, 2 unbalalnced patch cables, 2 balanced patch cables, 2 joiners for each type, various firewire and USB cables and ***AMP FUSES*** (it happened to me and could to you) splitters, adapters, gender changers). Backup hard drives, especially if you're using externals always keep a spare where you can get it in a hurry. It's scary how many times over the years these items have bailed me out.

4. Three cables to do the job of one - Logic and Murphy's law go hand-in-hand for this one. How many times do you plug and unplug from a mixer or a USB port or an amp in the course of a month? I would guess an average would be about a dozen or more for each. Now here's logic behind this. What is cheaper to replace or repair a USB port on a computer or a USB patch cable, an XLR or TRS connection on a mixer or a short piece of cable? The point here is that the more you use it the shorter its gonna live. So for the items that must be connected and disconnected for every show I put in permanent cables at each end and use a patch in between. This way if any piece of cable fails I already have backups and I'm only out a few bucks to replace a piece of cable and there is little to no wear on the expensive components.

5. Know how to solder - This is not a mandatory item but it is way cheaper for me to buy cable (balanced, unbalanced, and heavy shielded triple electrical) in bulk and just solder on any type of connector I might have a need for. Plus I can create custom length and lighter weight cabling this way (saves the back with every ounce and it doesn't look like Medusa lives in the case).

6. No liquids near the gear - This is a personal and professional choice for me. You can take it as you like. I lost most of a system once from a guy who thought a microphone needed a beer.

7. Be creative - I turned an SKB keyboard case and stand into a mobile DJ system. Drilled for connectors and built it from components to meet my individual needs. You know where when and how you operate. create things to fit your needs.

8. Keep a hail mary - I have been very lucky over the years that the major failures have been few and far between with my systems. I learned from the first time that dead air is not a good thing ever for me. I have a small 1GB MP3 player for each system and cables to connect them (directly to the amp if necessary). This has bailed me out on at least one occasion and I'm sure might again.

9. Tools, Tools, Tools - Did I mention tools? If you use it to put it together then there's a good chance you will need it to bail your butt out. Never count on a bar or restaurant or where-ever you might be to have anything tool related.

10. Spare batteries - For those of us that use wireless mics. I really shouldn't have to say this one. Spare set ready for every battery powered item you have. I prefer rechargeables. My Shure's use AA and I change and recharge after every other show, even if the mic didn't get used.

11. Cloned C Drives - Most of us have backups for our karaoke and DJ files but those really aren't getting beat up as bad as the drive that is actually running your computer. I carry one for each of my systems.

12. Power Conditioners - Not surge preotectors but power conditioners. Waay better for your equipment and some even come with cool lights and displays. Battery backups, though heavy are good for this too.

13. Finally - The absolute, gotta make a show happen or gonna fall into a pit and be eaten by a Rancor. A small collection of your most used discs (I use copies of my originals so they stay in good shape) and a cheapo CD+G player. This saved my bacon once and might again in the future.

These are just my thoughts and not a roadmap or set of requirements by any means. Nor is this intended to offend anyone. This is how I stay in business where others have failed. I was never a Boy Scout and I don't think I'm a schizophrenic or anything.

Anyone else got anything they use for stability and redundency that they're willing to share? Feel free to ask questions or comment about what and why I do what I do.

Monolith Entertainment