Thread: New Singers
View Single Post
Old December 23rd, 2004, 12:17 PM

Cool Re: New Singers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike
Throwing new singers in at the end of the night is a touchy subject. Yes you can say "Ladies and Gentlemen we have a new singer Please give <INSERT here name>Singing <INSERT title. song>That is a fair way to do it for some. What bothers me is here it is after 1:00 I know where I am in rotation and I havn't sang for a couple of hours. It doesn't seem right that someone can walk in at the end of the night and walk right up to the Mic. I see the same person every weekend come in after 1:00 and walk right up sing the same song and then walk out knowing they will get the new singer treatment. It doesn't seem fair to me.

This is what seems fair to me. With a big rotation sometimes you can only make it through the list 2 times. By the time you make it to the second time through a lot of people have left. That's where I place new singers. No one can say a thing about it because the same amount of people are singing that were before them before and new singers get up sooner then if we put them on the end of the list. It will still look like they walk in and walk right up and sing but no one gets bumped back.

Another thing I would like to try is to reward the people who show up within the first hour hoping to sing more by being early. As people put in thier slips I write down the order in which I recieve them and that becomes the rotation. At 10:00 I draw a line under the the last singer in the rotation then continue to add to the list. Once I reach that line I go to the begining of the rotation and let those singers sing thier second song. Usually by 10:00 there are less then 10 singers so the people who arrive after 10:00 will most likely not notice that some one has sang twice before them. Of coarse there will be times when the list is too big to do this it wouldn't be fair to start the list over if you have 25 singers before 10:00 so in those cases you can't start the list over. What this does is gets the singers who want to sing more then 2 times to come in before 10:00 and stay longer hoping for the third or forth song. Where we go we average between 30 and 40 singers, mind you that's counting the people who sing once andleave and thier spot is filled by a new singer and at least 20 of the singers get there after 10:00 mor like 11:00.

I hate going up and looking at the list and seeing there are 2 or 3 singers untill the end of the list only to have the list not start over for 2 more hours because of constant new people coming to sing.

anyway my two cents worth
You mention at the end of your post "2 or3" untill the end of the list and then the list not starting untill 2 or so hours more...... All I was saying was get a new person up once in a while, not all the new singers up at once. Face it! If you come in real late to my shows.....you may not get to sing. Tuff....get here sooner.

Chris
AWare Entertainment