View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Man View Post
Intro: Replying to Bryan's request for user information. I have been using MTU products for years, just personal use, first under Win98, then XP Professional, and now 64-bit Vista. Having read dozens of related posts, let me say that, to the best of my knowledge, all hardware, software, and firmware are up to date.

Problem and non-problem summary: MStudio+Vista does not crash my computer, as some posters have reported. The only functional issue I have, which is not insignificant, is that the Import Tracks feature fails. I can, however, play songs and create create CDG discs using onboard bin files previously imported onto my XP machine and copied to my Vista unit. Similarly, songs created with KHP under Vista can be played and burned normally.

System: HP Pavilion Notebook dv9700z, (The "z" simply means a custom configuration), running Windows Vista, Ver/Build 6, SP1, 64-bit; AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL64; 4 GB RAM (2 x 2 GB DIMM); HP BIOS F.2F; NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (discrete); dual 120 GB IDE drives ST9120823AS @7200 rpm; internal Pioneer DVDRW DR-KD08HB (f/w 1K09); external USB Optiarc (MTU) DVDRW AD7170A (f/w 1.02); Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221.

What happens on Import Tracks:
  • Reading Disc dropdown lists both of my optical drives, with drive letter "@"
  • Read Disc button functions normally; tracks appear in window; with discs previously compiled using MStudio, tracks are all listed as "unknown," but manufactured discs (e.g., SC) give title, artist, length, etc. as expected.
  • Note: This step works equally well with both optical drives.
  • After selecting tracks or pressing Select All, and then pressing Import Selected Tracks, the import process appears to begin. The progress/error correction window pops up. However, the blue progress bar does not stream, and each track registers IMPORTED in just five seconds.
  • All tracks now appear in the main MStudio window, left side. They can even be added to the Play List, but they will not play. (Mini lyrics screen opens and immediately closes). Pressing Refresh removes all new tracks, and displays the error message bubble. Furthermore, the import folder lists all newly "imported" tracks as "bin" files, BUT the file sizes are all "0 bytes." So the process seems to initialize but not complete.
I hope this provides enough detail to help you determine some potential root causes. Just a few other notes: (1) discs and Optiarc drive all work fine in the XP machine; furthermore, the Optiarc drive works fine on the Vista machine, too, outside of MStudio's Import Tracks function; (2) I have previously disabled Vista's annoying "User Account Control"; (3) I can't think of any other updates to go after.

Thanks,
Retro Man
I observe exactly the same symptoms running Vista 64 with Microstudio 4.006.

I do not want to re-install Vista 32 bit just so that a poorly QC build can run. I want MicrosStudio to fix it to run under Vista 64!