View Single Post
Old August 26th, 2003, 04:01 AM

To the admin...

I, perhaps for different reasons, am in the same boat as mlepine. I wouldn't dream of hosting one disk at a time from my computer. 5 years ago, that might have been an interesting novelty, but with the capabilities of computers NOW and especially with a software package like Hoster, who would be so "behind the times?"

Let's take a walk down the path of a day in the life of this crazy karaoke guy named Ashton (me).

I have six shows a week at a bar I own called, Bar. My shows are the best in Seattle because we have the best sound and we have the best stage, the best props and the best collection (I might be bias). On top of all that, I have the biggest collection of Broadway/showtunes in the USA.

I sing, and I do a decent job of it. Every Sunday, I take my "NEW MUSIC REQUEST FORM" and I make a list of between $250 and $300 and I pick up new music. I leave my house around 2:00PM to drop my partner off at the bar and go pick up the music. I come home with the new music and I type each and every track into Excel. I don't trust ANY of the programs out there that claim to KNOW what songs are on what disks.

On top of that, I get to know what I have and what I don't. When I come across an unusual song or a song that I want to check the quality on, I will pop it in the old Plextor Drive and I will load up Microstudio. Sometimes the Audio ONLY that I would get from the CD play next to my desk isn't enough.

I start the song and I star listening. I often times want to go over to Excel and continue adding songs or make whatever changes I need. The moment I leave Microstudio, DEAD AIR (The death of any karaoke show in my opinion).

mlepine makes a good point, windows was designed for "MULTI-Tasking" Although it isn't really, it is more "Time-splicing" And I will give 10 brownie points to anyone who can tell me who came out with a true Multi-tasking processor and architecture that was superior to ISA

So I got a windows based DOS program.... Okay, I guess I just have to accept that. Here's what I want to know, can you name another program that plays audio that once you leave that window for another window you loose audio? Anyone? Please, I would like to know.

This may sound critical, but it isn't. Your products are superior, you provide, albeit not on my or even your timeline, the products we want You can't please all the people all the time, but if I were to think about it, I would have to say that it probably took MORE programming to MUTE the audio than to keep it going I don't know.

It is frustrating not to be able to have a little window up in the corner so that I can practice that new Falco Song while I am writing this or when I am just off surfing the web for a new song. I guess I could load up my Hoster, but that doesn't help with new song that haven't been entered yet.

I am with you, but I disagree