View Single Post
Old December 30th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Cravotta View Post
I had my two Plextor drives for eight (8) years without a hiccup in their performance.
We are all a little upset with Plextor for pulling the plug on their CDG drives. They had a hard-coded chip in them that was state of the art for reading/ripping CDG disks. They sited lack of market as the reason for abandoning this technology, but I think they gave up too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Cravotta View Post
Marklwood, Yes I had roxio on my other XP but not pinnacle because it doesn't have a fast enough chip to run Pinnacle.
This could be the same situation. Roxio and Nero, along with Pinnacle, make some registry changes to take over your burner. They do it for consistency and performance gain. They nevered considered that you could POSSIBLY want to use something else to burn disks with.

I hope that this is all it is. It is a well documented known problem that is easily remedied with a few changes to your system.

As far as the frequency of failure, I suspect it coincides with an update that checked, and replaced, control of your burners to another program. The programs in question were written for Windows and will play nice as long as control is passed to them. They know how to do this in a Windows environment, but were not written with Microstudio in mind.

If you get it resolved, or not, please post back with your results. It may help someone down the road that is having a similar problem. If not, we may have someone else that we can compare to to see if you have anything in common that may be causing the problem.