Thread: Songs?
View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2012, 08:45 AM
VIP

Re: Songs?

I think one reason to have many songs is to be able to have that one song someone request's. I have about 13000 songs (10000) non-duplicated. I always get request for songs I don't have but usually just a few. I played a strange gig about 2 weeks ago and I had 15 request for songs I didn't have. That was the most I have ever had in one sitting. This gig was way too much work. Nobody wanted to use the songbook, they just wanted to come up when it was their turn and ask for a song and have me produce it. Normally I wouldn't allow this unless it was really slow but in this case I was filling in for the regular KJ and didn't want to go against his routine. Big mistake. I made it clear after the show that if they wanted me back in the future, it would be the book or singers disk but no more on the spot request. I see more and more KJ's that have so many songs (probably illegal) that they won't print books anymore and just encourage the singers to ask for the song and they most likely have it. It really slows down a show when you have many singers. Anyway, I started this thread to see how many songs most KJ's had and it is seems to be an average of 10 to 15 thousand songs. I guess I'm in the ball park.
Thanks to everyone for your input.

Walt