View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2002, 07:35 PM

Singers and Listeners appreciate Quality

Lauraine,
I appreciate your take on this subject of providing a quality karaoke show. KJ's come into this business from many different backgrounds as I'm sure you have noticed. Some start with their home stereo and a couple mics and underbid out of business those who do have "quality" equipment. Some are techi's who think the equipment is all it takes to be successful and usually can't sing and have a boring show. Many I know have ok equipment and sing good but haven't got a clue on how to adjust their equipment for the best sound and make their singers sound good as possible. It's really not so different from the makeup of people that play in the bar bands. Pairing up people with right mix of skills very often provides the best solution.

The venues available for karaoke range from the neighborhood bar to the Holiday Inn but rarely includes night clubs (even on their off night - it's an image thing). So it's the smaller places that you're likely to be doing your show. The booker for the small bars is usually the owner of the bar and his goal is to get more drunks into the bar to sale moderately priced drinks. The booker at the Holiday Inn might actually come to see you at another place because he's interested in entertainment suitable for his clients in dark suites who pay $6.00 a drink. Again, this is not much different to hiring a band. The above places pay from $50 to $200 a night and average typically $100 to $125. All these places pay very low for both karaoke and bands. However, if you don't mind the low pay, you can have a steady job in these venues. A bar owner may scout for a good band but it's a joke to scout for karaoke show.

If you have a "quality" show which includes quality equipment, quality showmanship, quality technical skills and quality marketing skills, you should be doing private parties exclusively. These include weddings, corporate parties, holiday parties, etc. Private parties pay from $300 to $2000 a night and are seasonal in nature.

Best Wishes,
Steve