View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryant View Post
Ahhhh, thanx Dale, I'm starting to feel more comfortable and thanx again for being patient with me.

So basically here i am left with only a few doubts (but getting less doubtier).

1) What about the files in the c:\Windows folders that are (got) compressed that are NOT uninstall files, what do I do about them, as a lot of them (files) are blue too.
This is where you will need to go to another XP computer and compare to see if those files are compressed or uncompressed and change your accordingly. Yes this part will take a long time.

2) What about the thing that I was told that the drive may not clone (something because of an overlay) if it is compressed. As I will still have some compressed files left (all of the (many) C:\Windows folder files).
I don't know about this as I have never cloned a drive. I don't think they are correct since there are usually all kinds of compressed files on your computer from the first install on and no one has ever said their cloned drive wouldn't work.

3) Here's what I think you are telling me to do ; please add or edit the below:

Go to "C" directory and on there highlight all folders except C:/windows, right click will get me to properties/general, hit advanced and unclick compress box (tried this and it works for folders and files), then hit apply. All folders (except C:\windows) and files in all those folders will be uncompressed and I should be okay for a clone, and my computer speed will return despite the fact that ALL windows files are still compressed.
If you do it this way I think you will have to also do it to each and every sub-folder. Go back to my earlier post at the top and follow it as it will also uncompressed all sub-folders at the same time.

I'm almost there

one more thing I noticed: What about the C:\programfiles\windowsNT folder; any concern there?
It isn't compressed on my computer.