View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2005, 12:27 AM
VIP

Monolith, I am usually loath to contradict any posts on these forums, but I must take a moment to dissuade anyone who may have been influenced by your post to follow your lead. I have no personal bias towards you and mean you no offense, however, I strongly disagree with your methods.

First - Not taking the time to integrate new vocalists into your rotation will alienate people. No matter what else you think, please remember that your business relies on people wanting to come to your shows. The biggest draw that I've found, and I've been a DJ/KJ for over 26 years, is fair and respectful treatment of your audience. Karaoke audiences are growing more sophisticated and are less tolerant than in years past. Understanding that other shows competing with you may pull your crowds away by presenting a more positive response to people and a less "monolithic" style will increase your draw. Increasing your draw means increasing the revenue for the establishments in which you play. Increasing their revenue puts you in a very good position to negotiate a higher rate of pay. It's the way the cycle works.

For anyone who wishes to follow Monolith's example, good luck, bon chance, I wish you the best. And I sincerely mean that. I wish every one good shows, because if everyone is doing better shows, the overall image of Karaoke will improve and all of us can demand bettter pay rates.

However, I know those of you who wish to treat your vocalists fairly, provide a good venue for them and maintain a generally positive attitude, will have great success.

- Alan

Alan Ross

PRIMARY TEST MACHINE:
HP Compaq DC5100SFF
Windows XP Home SP3
Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz
2GB Ram
250G Hard Drive
Sound Device: SoundMax digital Audio