View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2005, 11:25 PM

Here's what has worked for me

I am just starting in this area (South Jersey) and I miss the clientel I had when I was in South Carolina.

I base all of my decisions for rotation on who has been waiting the longest. I do not condone impatient patrons even so far as to remove their name from the song list or even ban them from my shows. Every name goes at the end of the rotation and does not get moved up.....because the name at the top has always been waiting the longest. I used to do the 2 old, 1 or 2 new thing but it was just too big a headache when you got flooded with people.

Having the singing order in front of the crowd makes life substantially easier (probably my favorite feature in Hoster 3.10). When somone asks when they get to sing I just point to the screen.

New singers don't really concern me too much. I let them know that the wait is pretty long and recommend that they get themselves some food or drink and arrive sooner the next time so they can get more songs in.

I have the ability to get more per night than I do but without a name and reputation to back that up it can be rather difficult or even impossible to get more than $175 for a 4 hour show, even on a Friday or Saturday. This is not a serious concern for me at the moment because I have another job which covers my bills and I know that I can slowly raise my prices. Don't be afraid to start off at a lower price than you think you are worth. Just set your amount based on what the bar's current estimated income is. If you do a quality show then the people will come and there will be more money for everyone. Also, book as many nights as you can manage. Even at a lower price you will still make money and you will build a clientel that will come to more of your other shows and build them up.

One thing I have learned over the years is how to scout a show. If there is a place you are interested in working, go there and just have a drink (don't get hammered there) or something to eat. Strike up a conversation with the staff so they know you are a person not just some guy off the streets with a 50 song library and a Radio Shack microphone trying to make a quick buck. Find out if they already have a Karaoke night and, if so, when it is. Try to show up again on that night and do some research on the person running the show. If you both do about the same things have a conversation with that person and be sure to give them a business card or two. Networking will go a long way. If they don't have a karaoke night finish your drink or food and leave. Come back again in about a week or so. You may have to do this a few times before you get a chance to actually pop the question. If you have presented yourself well over the last few visits then you will have a much better time trying to book and negotiate prices for your show.

I make it a point to never try to overtake someone else's shows unless they give me reason to. I also recommend that you make a note of anyone who does this to you and put them on your "people to bankrupt" list. No one likes being undercut.

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but I figured the scouting stuff might be useful to someone. I hope this can all be of use to someone.

Happy Thanksgiving to all and to all a deep turkey induced coma!!

Jon
Monolith Entertainment