View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM

Re: Playlists vs Singer lists

Up here in God's wilderness we are simple, happy, uncomplicated folks. And we like it that way. For istance, we don't even have a traffic light, in the entire county. Been do'in karaoke up 'round these parts at the same american legion club going on 7 years now. Been a musician for going on 40 years, a kj {hate that term} host going on 30 years {started out with cassette tapes and cards}.

At our club it's the same people, same age group 50+, they sit at the same tables, same arguments over the same wars, same songs, same key changes, same prefered disc. Same starts and redo overs, same "i was suppose to sing before him rants". What play list? and what singers' data base? I often start a songs intro going without even needing to call the singer up by name. Hoster puts their name on the screen, and the ones who have good enough eye sight, can read it. Those who don't or are a little deaf, we help along.

I've DJ'ed at singers children's weddings, done funeral music at our church, and my laptop with hoster has been on a hay wagon going down main street during our 4th of july parade, every senior center in 50 miles, the beach, campgrounds, and private parties, as well as political rallies. Why we had President Obama up here not too far from me this week. If thats not knowing my singers and what they sing, i never will.

And Roy, i have this old guy that i always have come up first, he sings "For the Good Times" following him is a sweet lady who sings "Teddy Bear". They have to leave early after the fish fry. Those are my mic checkers..get everything sat in two songs...always...the SAME two songs...