View Single Post
Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Re: Best Monthly Series for staying current

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
MCPS licensed songs (such as sold by Tricerasoft) are ILLEGAL to play at a show in the USA and Canada.
We have a copy of the MCPS license. It's hiding after our move last March, but we'll find it soon. I remember a Paragraph in this "Legal Agreement" that specifically stated to the effect that "any MCPS licensed song cannot be played in the USA, and (I think) Canada".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonman View Post
So if ANY MCPS track is not legal for use in the US, this would include not only downloaded/custom tracks (selectatrack/karaoke-version/tricerasoft) but even the original manu discs (ie from Sunfly, Zoom, or any of the overseas manus, which SC are/were licensed overseas as well as of their last few years & the GEM series, etc.) I am assuming as well. Which I guess I would have to wonder, where would the jurisdiction lie as far as enforcement - RIAA, ASCAP or the likes? I'm sure the manus wouldn't be involved especially if you bought the tracks directly from them or their affiliates? I buy a good majority of my customs via Selectatrack, and have many Zoom & Sunfly products from over the years.

Most of the problems concerning many of the manus weren't so much the music licensing but the 'sync' licensing and permission to reproduce the lyrics either in print or on screen. My question is how would it be legal to make your own graphics without obtaining proper sync rights to use in a commercial venue/show?
Who is policing MCPS violations? No idea... don't care either. I just know what their Legal Agreement requires of ALL licensees who sign. Suffice it to say, they have the legal right to enforce violations. It appears that every dollar you pay for MCPS licensed songs is in jeopardy. Once I find their agreement, I'll quote the exact Paragraph so you will know for sure.

As to Tricerasoft, I have watched them since their inception as "Tyrannosoft" that they were legally forced to change their name for infringement. They have copied MTU products from their start, and finally renamed their "Hoster work-alike" to... "Video Hoster". FACT: We took legal actions against them in the USA and Canada and won. See our HOSTER Registrations and published successful defenses of our Mark.

I have learned many things in my 41.9 years in business. One in particular is that "if you do anything illegal, one day it will be revealed."

It is a known fact that MTU has fought against Sound Choice and other Producers who tried to intimidate the world into believing among several "myths", that media shifting songs from a CDG disc into a computer compressed file is illegal. That is incorrect based on IPJustice.org's search of WestLaw and NexusLexus legal databases. There are court cases to substantiate their reported findings on their website.

Read Sound Choice's retraction letter.

MTU will continue to bring LEGAL fun to this industry.