View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2015, 07:46 PM

Wink Re: Compact Portable setup?

Normally I use a 1000 watt Yamaha system with combined amp and mixer and very heavy Yamaha club speakers. But it is a real sweat moving this stuff around. This summer, while visiting in Colorado, I wanted a mixer to do some rehearsing in the motorcoach. I came across a lovely Alto ZMX-122FX mixer for around $100 new, while visiting the Fort Collins Guitar Center. What a great find. It even has all the FX sound effects. I use some vocal settings to add richness to singer voices.

After a few weeks of feeding my motorcoach sound system through this excellent lightweight mixer I realize that with a set of lightweight powered speakers I would have everything I need for small venues. Back to Guitar Center to look for a good match for the Alto mixer. One of the store employees uses the Alto mixer for his band with very good results. I asked him what powered speakers would be good for smaller venues. He recommended the Alto TX10 speakers. What a gorgeous sound. Every bit the quality of my expensive (and heavy) Yamaha system with its unpowered heavy speakers. Not quite the volume at 280 watts, but still good enough for the outdoor concerts my wife and I produce for about 250 size audiences.

I am planning to use this system for about 75% of my gigs. And lugging 15 pound speakers around is much easier on my body than my 80 pound speakers. Not to say carrying a simple 5 pound mixer with 8 channels and FX effects.

Love it

Smoky