View Single Post
Old June 20th, 2002, 11:22 AM

To say one is not reputable is to imply they are disreputable. Although I tend to agree with what you are saying regarding support, I hardly think MTU is disreputable, or unusual. Let's take a quick look at some well known "reputable" companies and their philosophies.

ROXIO(Adaptec)..purchase the $99.00 Easy CD Creator upgrade. wanted to record lp's on to cd's and have tracks split automatically, which they claim to do. They do it. There's an adjustment for doing it. At one end of the slide the software is so silence sensitive it made 14 tracks out of six songs. At the other end it made one giant track. Couldn't find the happy medium after one full day. Contacted their support and was advised to get some audio editing software. Have Goldwave and gave up on it also. Much easier to do it manually.Anyway Roxio's policy is, upgrades offered free, BUT free support limited to 90days. A trade off, for sure.

MICROSOFT..No support for Windows 3.1...but gosh, how old can you get? Not too old for someone who is satisfied to use it for their needs, just as you are with an older software version.

ACER.. well known, REPUTABLE drive manufacturer. Told my p.c. guru to find me a burner with CDG capability. He showed me Acer's advertising on their website claiming Karaoke capability. I nodded, he got it, and it would not work. After a month of messing around with their support people, they got as frustrated as I, and I got to talk to their engineer. He told me flat out that they did not support cdg and never would(that was 3 yrs. ago). He said they supported VCD. I told him their advertising was deceptive, as CDG was the accepted norm in Karaoke and that's what people would assume they meant. I asked him what they were going to do about it, as the drive was useless for my purpose. he said they were TECHNICALLY CORRECT" and would do nothing. My p.c.guru ate it, as I'd specified to him I wanted CDG capability. How's that for reputable?

NORTON INTERNET SECURITY... free upgrades expire in one year, yet they are reputable, are they not?I didn't bother to look any further, I think this is enough.

Put that rifle away and get out a scatter gun when labeling either hardware or software manufacturers as unreputable.

Before you tell us all where we can buy software from a reputable
company, do yourself a favor and research your nominees on all these forums and see what, if any, experiences MTU's clients have had with them, before coming to MTU, and pay special attention to their "user friendliness."