View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM
VIP

Re: New place to gig on Thursday, but Sun/Tue. bar owner doesn't seem to like the ide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman51 View Post
Far be it from me to give advice of this type. But i have been at my present club 6 years, and see no chance of leaving any time soon. With that being said, out of loyalty, i personally wouldn't dream of taking a job down the street. My off night or not. I know some guys are into this for the money and money only. But something i personally wouldn't do. I work yard parties, graduations, weddings, that type of thing on my off nights. But i'd never think of giving my own club competition. And that is actually what you're doing.

I bet it is spreading the profits of your regular bar a little thin. This apparently bothers your boss of 5 years. If thats the case, don't worry about who benefits, dump the second job, and show loyalty in return, to the guy who showed you loyalty for 5 years. Hip hop night or not. He is still running entertainment those nights. Lets hope he just doesn't decide to boost his hip hop night by cutting back on karaoke to do it. Good luck whatever you decide.

True, and nice comments here, Musicman. Although I also started two other bars in town 5 years ago, all with slightly different clientele though. I work regularly at three different places, all started about 5 years ago. As a result, I said I would retire from my full time job (good pay, with all free benefits, medical, dental, etc) if I could find a Thursday night stay. I had been off and on for a while at another place on Thursdays. Now this brand new bar just seems to be copying a lot of stuff from bar #1 and the owner seems concerned. let me say a bit more about these two places. bar #1 is also a 7 day/16 hr per day restauraunt with a bar upstairs and downstairs. Downstairs DJ on thurs./Fri./sat...Upstairs is full restauraunt and bar with musicians during the week and bands on Fri. and Sat. (On fri. he just started a cem free DJ upstairs, however). The owner owns the building and rents apartments above as well. He is completely established.

The new bar just opened up and is only a bar, no food, no TV yet above the bar, only dance floor and bar. Is only open from 9 to 1 on Thurs. fri. and sat., They rent the building, and have just remodeled that same building. The two owners are young and sort of new in the business. Their fridays are slow now, their thurs were even slower when they first started. Karaoke was an after thought as an idea to get something going on Thursday's a little better. the place has only been open since the first of the year.

Also, bar #1 owner doen't expect me to NOT work anywhere else, he had never said that. It's more of a copycat thing now with this new club that bugs him.