View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:50 AM

Suggestion

I understand about the expense. I cringed about dropping those credit card numbers. But I feel it was worth it and am happy wth my decision.

If you are looking for the best sound. You might look into some of the other major brands of mixers. VocoPro is not your best sounding option in most cases. They tend to be a lot more noisy than a pro audio mixer. I did a lot of research before I bought my mixer and compared a lot of different numbers before purchase. THD and noise are some major areas to look at. Talk to the folks in the Guitar Center or Sam Ash. If they are worth their paycheck (and most are) they can help to explain the differences between each brand and model.

You will find that in most cases there are some that stand out for abilities and clarity more than others. I have rarely heard a vocopro that could go toe to toe with a Mackie, Yamaha, or even Behringer (as a matter of fact the Behringer I use has it's Feedback detection system and EQ on the board itself and it only cost me about 200 bucks).

The feedback detection/EQ combos are great if you can babysit them. They work by identifying which frequency band on an EQ is experiencing feedback and then providing indication to that knob or slider so you can turn it down. An Equalizer is used to make each room you play in sound the same. If you have to start turning down your frequencies in bands as on an equalizer you are changing a large amount of the dynamic of the final ouptut. Which is where the feedback eliminator modules come into play. Most of the better brands give you the option of how wide an area of the total frequencies you would like to suppress and can be made to be completely temporary and return to previous setting after a preset amount of time (are any of us honestly going to remember to turn up the EQ again after feedback? I know I usually just leave it.) Also, you don't have to watch eliminators nearly as much, or have to, very quickly, figure out which frequencies are feeding back and adjust the level down.

Ask yourself all of the pertinent questions before you buy. Compare cost against functionality. What does one brand or model offer that another one doesn't and do you really need those extra bells and whistles or can you get them at a better price somewhere else. The only real advantages I see to the VocoPro is that you can change the key from the board instead of the player or program, the cross-fader, and the video outputs. If you have Hoster or most CD+G players the keychange option is not necessary because it is written into the program or part of the player, the crossfader really isn't that helpful if you get used too using two sliders or pots (and with the inconsistencies of most CD+G's it can often leave dead air if you aren't prepared), and a 1 in 3 out video splitter is about 5 dollars at Radio Shack.

Not trying to dissuade in any way and I never intend to offend...just an opinion and an assist based on my experiences. I believe in sound quality first and Karaoke/DJ music selection second.

Best of luck in your decision making process,
Jon

Edited portion:

Just noticed something else you and I have in common Dale. We get our other paycheck from the same uncle. You at Lackland?

Last edited by Monolith; February 14th, 2006 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Just noticed something