View Single Post
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:25 AM
Honor Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamastara View Post
Everyone will probably hate me for saying this, but depending on the size of the room, really bad singers can lose you business.

I work in a small karaoke place that's known for its selection (collected over 10 years by myself) & professional equipment, including a Mackie 808M head & speakers, Shure 58 mics (those things are $600 a pop), & regular crowd of classic rock & 80s enthusiasts.
I don't think anybody will hate you. I do a little, only because you consistently get to hear good singers I relish those moments when someone gets up a wows me. I do think you may need to reconsider your shopping habits though. I use Shure SM 58s exclusively and I rarely pay more than $100 for them. I think that the size of your club allows you to be a little more selective. As a bar owner myself, I have a relatively small venue for my town but I can still accommodate 100 or so. The larger the venue, the larger the overhead. The numbers don't translate when you get larger. You can't fill 100 seats with good quality singers that pay a premium. Because of this, you need volume. That is why I have to put up with the yayhoos that you are refering to. I also just don't have it in me to treat people badly. I hear all the stories of the number of rules the other KJs have especially about the equipment. I can't seem to be a Nazi about this. I just fix or repair what I can, and replace the rest. But I limit the items within reach of the audience to mics, stands, and cords.