View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2000, 10:43 AM
Administrator

How will MTU implement mult-track support - This has been stated for many months at our http://mtu.com/basics/news.htm page. There are three facets of support.

[li]Microeditor Project Multi-track assembly - I believe we have close to the ultimate system for this already. I don't see any major changes in the near future.

[li]Multi-track Input Channels - We are expecting to offer an AddOn Interface Program for multi-track I/O. It will use the industry standard ASIO software interface to connect to most of the multi-track I/O cards currently available. This optional program will link into Microeditor, appearing as a new way to record and play. For record, it will show a multi-track record screen, and allow creating segments with/without group assignments. Our target is 8, 16, and 24 tracks. We don't know yet if we must pre-create the track lengths before recording. If not, the track samples will be interleaved with each other on the disc. This must be evaluated. Our first target is 8 tracks to allow Surround Sound (not to state MTU is coding for Surround Sound yet).

[li]Multi-track Output Channels - There is no easy way to instantly play multi-track out of Microeditor. The first approach we will take is an Play Groups as Tracks command. All unmuted groups will be saved to the hard drive as separate wave files, with silence padding in front to insure each file starts playing in sync with the others. There will be a delay while the files are output, then they can be played out a multi-track ASIO control program. We are expecting to make this Play program part of the Multi-track Record program. Ideally, the "output" command will be a Play command that computes and stores the wave files, then automatically plays them.