View Single Post
Old November 27th, 2000, 08:09 AM
Starting Member

Multi-track Support

I am currently using Steinberg Cubase and a MOTU 2048 to handle my tape dumps, dumping 24 tracks into Cubase and then creating segments from the .wav files. This works pretty well, but is also a pain because of two things. First is the requirement to do the dump in a second software package. This is merely a minor annoyance. Second and more serious is the issue of latency. After working with Microeditor, I have gotten used to the convenience of zero latency. Even running dual PIII CPU's and Cheetah's configured RAID 5 on a new ultra 160 controller (800MB/Sec throughput), I can only get latency down to 3 ms. This means that if I have more than 24 tracks (most of my projects are 32 or more) syncronising the second layer of tracks is a major pain.

The Tascam (and clone?) solution seems to offer a zero latency solution which would be the best way to go. On the other hand, ASIO based hardware is cheap and a great way to get in the door to truly great mastering capability, so I would like to see this supported as well.

Microeditor has always been about being free from constraints so that we can concentrate on being creative. I would like to see this philosophy extend to hardware as well.