View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2001, 07:35 PM
VIP

Vogone 2

I agree with joethermo and include the conclusion of my earlier post:

"Conclusion

Vogone 2 can produce very good results very quickly on centre panned (the usual) stereo tracks which have originally been recorded in a (recording) studio. When one considers all the facts (including how much it would cost to produce a "band track" in a recording studio with the original artists exact arrangement/accompaniment), I think the results are truly quite amazing. The most difficult thing to retain is the bass & drums (because they are always panned to the centre the same as the lead vocal). Vogone 2 manages to do this as well as anything else - perhaps better."

Compared to many other PC software manufacturers, MTU produce products that do what they claim they will and are simple and user-friendly. Just compare KHP and Microstudio to the fancy-looking DART product. There is a well known saying that ."simplicity is the varnish of the masters". This could apply to MTU.

I have not read one word of the manual but have no trouble achieving a useable result. There are ways of achieving total elimination of true stereo studio recordings but they involve an enormous amount of time and processing. There are two examples where the exact opposite has been used in modern recordings. One is the duet between Nat King Cole & Natalie and the other is the modern arrangement of the theme song to the recent movie "Return to Me" featuring the voice of Dean Martin.
Perhaps some folk are expecting too much. Maybe it would be more accurate to describe the results as "vocal masking" (a term used on dvd and vcd machines that have karaoke functionality). If you want total elimination then you will have to be prepared to "pay the price" - a great deal of your time and money - not to mention total understanding of the "art".
Having said all that, I should remind everyone that this is not the final product and we are here to provide constructive feedback. Like everyone else, I would hope that V2 can be further improved before its release.