View Single Post
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doransdome View Post
Just got it this week. I was expecting a Plextor but got an Optiarc AD-7170A. Research shows that Optiarc is a joint venture of Sony Nec but it is a weird drive and no other programs recognize it so I can only use it with Microstudio so even though it should burn DVDs I can't because my DVD burning software package won't recognize it. It wasn't until after I printed my bill that I saw the words "for the drive to work, you will need Microstudio or Hoster software from MTU. Too late to cancel at that point so I hoped that must meant for karaoke, not that it wouldn't work with anything else.

So.....if you need a drive for things in addition to MTU products don't get this drive. Find a used plextor or one of the more common name brand drives that will also work with MTU programs. This was an expensive lesson for me cause even if they take it back (which I have requested) I will be out postage both ways and a 20% restock fee for a total of about $41. I would much rather have spent that money on program upgrades.
Is this the one that MTU has on the front page titled IDE DVD+R Burner, Internal Mount? Just wondering if you bought this from MTU and this is the model of drive they sent to you.

I found the Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7170A for like $35.00 new at Zip Zoom Fly. I don't think it is the same as the one MTU offers, because of the price difference. MTU is sowing a price of $79.95 on their front page.