View Single Post
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:05 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
Well Bryant let me start by saying that the average age of most of my singers is late teens to early twenties, collage students (VSU & ABAC). They think it's cool not having to write anything down.

When somebody hands me a piece of paper (a torn napkin with a number scribbled on it or the such), I look them square in the eye and crumple it up right in front of them and disgard it. I tell them politely that I don't use paper and show them "how it works".

I tell (train) them, give me the name of the song (not the artist) then give me your name and THAT'S IT! Everybody that's done Karaoke with me gets it AND I LIVE IN THE DEEP SOUTH! (If we rednecks can get it, anybody can get it. )

I'm very interactive with my singers. I get to know them by talking with them. Everytime they put in a song it gives me an opportunity to give them tips. They become my friends and I try to make them sound as good as possible.

Teach old dogs new tricks, that is a hump I never had to go over but I'll bet if anybody was daring enough to just stop using paper for one month, they're singers would not only adjust to it, but prefer it. Even more so now that Hoster has a singer database! Oh how my singers love this feature, it IS their paper right on Madjim's Karaoke Machine everytime they want to sing.

To sum it up, I just don't do it. If you want to sing with me you have no choice. It may seem harsh but giving up that nipple and going to solid food was no ride in the park.

It may take a while but I see the time coming when the larger number on this poll will be numberless.

Thanks for asking Bryant.

Jim
I pretty much do the same thing and typically have the same age group.
However, there are a number of new singers all the time that just go out once in a while, for ex. last night there was a bunch from another country, all ten of them at on e time or another asked the same thing I do as you do, explain to them, but I just have to do it a lot, The regulars, as you say, don't mind.