View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2009, 01:34 PM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyo View Post
sorry to say that i do smoke and i smoke when i'm working around my laptops/pc's ( in the garage) and i havent had any problems with it, i just got done upgrading the hhd. memory and replacing the nickel cell battery on my friends old pc( Dell Dimension 4600) and she doesn't smoke, but her pc has more dust in and around it , even her keyboard has built up ( dust, hair etc. ) i had to use my air compressor to get rid of all the dust ,so i don't think smoking will harm computers...
Maybe not, but I can't say for sure as I wasn't taking part in the quality control tests at the factory either.

Most likely, Apple had many computers in a controlled environment compared to many computers in a "smoking" environment, and a certain percentage of those even in the controlled environment still failed or problems arose before their standard warrantee guideline time. A slightly higher percentage than expected either had problems or failed in the smoking environment. Also, before the test began, a set of criteria was most likely established ( a cut-off percentage of failures) to determine if there was a significant difference in the two environments. If a statistical difference was shown to be 95% likely (this involves complex engineering statistics), then their original hypothesis is considered valid, and they felt that action be taken based on that.

I know, I sound like a know it all, but I did this kind of work in a manufacturing company a few years back.