View Single Post
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:49 PM
VIP

Re: Karaoke with Laptop only???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrz View Post
Dumb question... what does compression do anyway?
Compression helps keep a singer that is all over the place volume wise to a more consistent level. You set the compressor to a certain point (threshold) and if a singer gets over that point, the compressor automatically turns the singer down to stay under that threshold.

Quote:
Is that how the effects are implemented?
No the effects are a separate section. You add effects via the effects knob on the channel you want effects on - primarily the vocals only in most karaoke.

Quote:
Also, is on board graphics capabilities found on the average laptop going to be enough to drive graphics? Or, is there an external graphics card that should be considered?
If the laptop is capable of extended desktop (screen) then the onboard graphics should be fine.
Although you will need to figure out what outputs you have. Most older laptops have an S-Video output that kj's used for the 2nd screens, but todays laptops only have either VGA, DVI or HDMI outputs - so you will need to either convert the signal so older TV's can be used or if the clubs are using newer TV's, have the VGA, DVI or HDMI cables long enough.
Also I have heard (never had to try myself) that the HDMI outputs do not work as extended screen and still leave the main laptop screen working for host.

Show PC Lenovo nVidia 3.2ghz proc
Win 8.1 64bit
Vid: nVidia GT720 2gb mem
Aud: Lexicon Alpha
Mem: 8gb ram
HD: 1tb int/1tb int
Test PC ASUS AMD 4ghz 8 core proc
Win 7 Pro 32 bit

Vid: LP Radeon HD 5450 Video Card - 1GB
Aud: Lexicon Omega USB I/O Interface
Mem: 16gb ram
HD: 1TB/1TB