View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjim View Post
Hey Bryant,
You've always said that you were in one of the poorest areas in the country. Seeing any changes in Maine?

Jim
reporting back with some good news!!

Hey,, I got real lucky this week. I've been asked to do a regular Thursday night gig at a place where I do one or two karaoke parties a year. And another place that I do karaoke on Fridays has asked me to do a three hour dance party night on Thursdays from 7 to 10 pm, which I'll have my wife do. The VFW my wife plays at two nights a week has given her a 50 dollar raise each night (by way of giving her a 40 % of the 50/50 take for the evening. She actually got 58 dollars extra last Sat. night.). The commander who owns a restauraunt three buildings down the road is having a "Cruise Night" on Saturdays from 4 to 7 pm and asked us to play oldies there from 4:30 to 6:30 pm, along with a decent pay he has offered her and I FREE meals and drinks any time we enter the restauraunt.

This summer, I'll be returning to Sunday and Tuesday nights where I used to work year 'round; there I'll be asking for a 10 dollar increase in both nights.

My Wednesday night gig that I do year 'round has put me on some weird commision formula and since I've been averaging thirty dollars more a night there.

The overall economy in Maine is about the same as it always was; "very poor". So this world-wide thing (global recession) has only a little effect, if any, on what most people in Maine are willing to spend their money on.